What is Workers’ Compensation?
Workers’ compensation provides financial compensation and benefits to employees with work-related injuries or illnesses. You will need a workers comp lawyer if this is your case! It allows employees to receive treatment and care to return to work without any significant financial burden. The compensation coverage typically provides access to rehabilitation, survivors’ benefits, and compensation for permanent injuries.
Is Your Situation Covered?
The workers’ compensation program covers nearly every working Mississippian. Exceptions to workers’ compensation include:
- Businesses with less than five employees
- Independent contractors
- Others who are not considered employees
An employee’s workers’ compensation coverage begins upon employment.
- Medical services and supplies
- Cash payments for lost wages
If death results from a workplace accident, the living spouse, children, and other dependents are eligible for compensation, including reimbursements for funeral costs.
Some Injuries Possibly Not Covered
Mississippi workers’ compensation does not cover all work injuries. Employees who have been injured at work under any of the following conditions may have difficulty winning workers’ compensation benefits:
- The employee is injured while they are intoxicated
- The employee is injured because they failed to follow outlined safety regulations
- The employee is injured traveling to and from work
- The employee is injured while they are engaged in a voluntary, social, or recreational activity at work
- The employee is trying to harm themselves or another person intentionallyW
What You Need to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim
- Name of Company
- Company Location
- Company Policies
- Your Personal Information
- Details of Incident (when it happened, type of injury, etc.)
- Potential Witnesses
- Absence of Work (estimated days)
1. A workers comp lawyer can reignite your claim after denial.
If your claim is denied, a workers comp lawyer can schedule an appointment for you with physicians who have experience dealing with your type of injury.
2. A workers comp lawyer will improve negotiations with the insurance company.
The law states you are entitled to how much you should receive.
3. A workers comp lawyer will ensure that your agreement is worded correctly.
The wording of your settlement agreement can harm other payments you might want to receive, such as Social Security Disability Insurance. Knowing that your agreement does not have hidden clauses that can cost you money is essential.
4. A workers comp lawyer strengthens your chances in court.
Some workers’ compensation claims are settled in a courtroom. This can be time-consuming, expensive, and difficult to handle. A workers’ compensation lawyer can help you navigate the judicial system and get you a proper settlement.
5. A workers comp lawyer can help you deal with related legal issues.
Perhaps you discover that someone or another company besides your employer has caused or contributed to your work injury. In addition to your workers’ compensation, you may also receive a third-party negligence claim. A workers comp lawyer could also inform you of any additional payment you may be eligible for, such as disability income or Social Security Disability Insurance.
Hire a Workers Comp Lawyer Today!
When you are injured on the job, workers’ compensation is there to help you cover your medical expenses and lost wages. However, navigating the workers’ compensation system can be complex and confusing. That is where a workers’ comp lawyer comes in!
Marc Boutwell has extensive experience handling workers’ compensation claims and knows how to get his clients the benefits they deserve! He will work to make sure you get the compensation you need to recover from your injuries and get back to work.
If you have been injured on the job, contact Marc Boutwell today for a free consultation! He will help you understand your rights and options and fight to get you the workers’ compensation benefits you need.