If you or a loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, it is important to seek legal help as soon as possible. Our nursing home abuse attorney, Marc Boutwell, has the experience and knowledge to pursue legal action and demand justice for those who have been wrongfully harmed.
Nursing home abuse and neglect can take many forms, including physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and financial exploitation. It can also involve leaving a nursing home resident unattended or improperly caring for them, which can lead to serious injuries or death.
Signs You May Need a Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
Staff members and other residents are commonly the abusers in nursing homes, but anyone who has access to the facility can potentially harm its residents. By understanding the early warning signs of abuse, you can recognize when your loved one is in danger and intervene before it’s too late. The following are some common red flags of nursing home abuse:
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Emotional withdrawal
- Bruises or bleeding
- Unexplained infections or diseases
- Sudden financial problems
- Changes in the resident’s legal documentation (power of attorney, will, etc)
Nursing homes must retain qualified and well-trained staff to deal with any situation that may occur on the premises. Administrative negligence, such as understaffing, can put all residents within the facility at risk of injury, or potentially expose them to a violent staff member that didn’t complete a thorough background check.
What Does a Nursing Home Abuse Attorney Do?
Nursing home abuse attorneys are a subset of personal injury lawyers. They specialize in helping elders who suffer from abuse while living in a care facility. These attorneys dedicate their time and resources to build strong cases for victims of nursing home abuse and neglect. As a result, they may be more qualified to help elder abuse victims than general personal injury attorneys.
A skilled nursing home abuse lawyer can:
- Gather detailed information to build the best case
- Help nursing home residents take action against abusers (caregivers and facilities)
- Use their deep understanding of the legal system to secure compensation
Nursing home abuse victims can suffer from long-term mental and physical health problems. Severe cases of abuse may even lead to the wrongful death of a resident, which can leave family members burdened by grief and medical expenses.
A nursing home abuse lawyer can help your family access compensation to pay for medical treatment, and hold the facility and staff legally accountable.
How Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Help
Nursing home abuse lawyers allow you to pursue legal compensation with ease. These lawyers handle much of the work that comes with filing a nursing home abuse lawsuit.
An experienced nursing home abuse attorney can help:
- Gather information: Your lawyer may gather medical records, photographic evidence, and other information needed to build a successful case. Your lawyer can build the strongest case possible for you once they have all the facts.
- File your claim: It is important to ensure that your claim is filed correctly. Paperwork errors can derail or prolong a case, costing you time and money. Also, there are laws called statutes of limitations that prevent you from filing your lawsuit after a certain deadline (usually within 3 years). An elderly abuse attorney can file your claim on time without problems.
- Ease your burdens: The legal system is very hard to navigate if you are not an attorney. Working with an experienced nursing home abuse lawyer makes the legal process easier for you.
- Navigate discovery: Once the case is filed, both legal teams request more information from one another about the case during the discovery phase. Your lawyers can collect statements, records, or other pieces of evidence from those being sued to strengthen your case.
- Resolve a lawsuit: Many elder abuse cases never go to trial but resolve in a settlement. Settlements result in a direct payout to you. If a settlement cannot be agreed upon, a nursing home abuse lawyer can fight on your behalf in a trial.
Nursing facilities will use their own lawyers and financial resources during the legal process. Victims deserve the aid, protection, and peace of mind that an experienced nursing home abuse attorney brings.
If you believe that you or a loved one has been the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, don’t hesitate to contact our nursing home abuse lawyer. We will review your case and help you determine the best course of action to take. We understand how difficult this time can be, and we will do everything we can to help you get the justice you deserve!